I have a question about a SSI Appeal hearing I'm attending…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a question about a SSI Appeal hearing I'm attending in the morning I have drug use in my medical history and someone told me they might test me and if so what specific type of test would it be and when will it take place

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Im bipolar 1 with psychotic features (auditory hallucinations)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In my medical records from last year there were dirty tests but the last two clean and nothing for 2017

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Ok
Is anyone there

Response: You would be asked various questions to determine if drug and alcohol use is contributing factor to your disability. If the determination is yes, your claim would unfortunately be denied. You would be asked questions to determine if your drug use has exacerbated your disability or if the drug use is the cause of your disability. You may also be asked if you stop using the drug if your disability would stop. If your answer is yes, your claim would be denied. Goodluck with your case, Yes, I am here. I am preparing my answer. I have to read your post first, then construct my response. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt"> Thank you for your cooperation.
Will they test me
If so what kind blood urine hair...

No

No, you would not be tested.

What is the best possible way to prove my mental illness was not caused by drug use
With the information I've given you so far what is the likelihood of my winning my case? Should I put it off until later so I can accumulate letters and witnesses? The court date is at 10:30 this morning
Hello
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today. The other expert opted out.

His answers were correct to this point. However, we are limited in what we can tell you since we don't have a copy of your complete Social Security file and medical records and wouldn't be able to do a complete review of them anyway due to the nature of this website. In addition, we are restricted by the website in that we can answer your initial questions and a reasonable follow up.

As to the last questions you asked:

What is the best possible way to prove my mental illness was not caused by drug use (?)

An expert's testimony. Your best experts would likely be your treating physicians.

With the information I've given you so far what is the likelihood of my winning my case?

There is no way to put a number on it since we are not able to read and evaluate all of the paperwork or conduct the questioning. However, the national rate of approval for those who apply for Social Security disability is 36%, or was when the last released the numbers. I don't see anything in what you have stated which would either increase or decrease your chances from that number. The only thing which might increase your chances is to retain an attorney since if you are saying you are mentally disabled and yet you are able to present your own case then the judge can take as evidence that you can conduct your own affairs.

It is important to have all of the information possible and so if the judge will allow you to delay then you probably should do so and try to retain an attorney and then let them gather the evidence you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.