I rented a room in my house and the person has not paid rent…

Customer Question
Hi ! I rented...

Hi ! I rented a room in my house and the person has not paid rent for this month

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I’m in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I sub leased to her and her boyfriend but her boyfriend rent is not due until December 6 we do not have anything in writing just through text messages are those valid

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
11/26/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is your specific legal question?

What are the steps to take if I rented a room to a couple and one owes rent and the other rent is not due yet but I do not want to continue renting to either party

Thank you for the clarification.

Without a written agreement, the tenancy is month to month. That means that the tenancy may be terminated on 30 days notice (60 days if they have been there more than a year).

With regard to the unpaid rent, you can give that tenant a 3 day notice to pay or quit. If they pay within the 3 days then their tenancy continues and you would need to give the 30 day notice to end the month to month tenancy.

If the tenant do not leave at the end of the notice period then you

If they do not leave you need to file an unlawful detainer lawsuit. To start that, the landlord must file a summons and complaint with the superior court of the county or district in which the rental property is located. The court will set a date for a hearing before a judge, and the tenant will be notified of the upcoming lawsuit. If the landlord is successful at the hearing, the judge will give the landlord a writ of possession. This writ of possession gives the sheriff the authority to evict the tenant. The landlord must use the sheriff to evict the tenant.

The clerk of the court will have the forms to get started. You can also hire an attorney to take care of it for you.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Hi you there ?

Yes. Can you see my answer?

Here is what I posted, just in case:

Thank you for the clarification.

26 Nov 2017,