I live in Florida and have been in a relationship for 10…

Customer Question
Hi, I live in Florida...
Hi, I live in Florida and have been in a relationship for 10 years. Never married and no kids. Im on the mortgage loan and shes on the title. What are my legal obligations if she were to take me to court? I already told I woud sign documents giving her 100% of everyhing of the house. What shoud I do, what can I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/26/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. What would she take you to court for? Who has been or will be paying the mortgage?

I have been paying the mortgage. She hasnr mentioned court however I just think a legal document would help
I have agreed to continue to pay her car and credit cards until they are resolved.
Its that I have to move at this point as her behavior is unpredictable
Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond
From a legal standpoint, she could only sue and go after you to enforce any agreements which you had. If she is on title, she has a legal right and interest in the home and you being on the mortgage is just an obligation to pay. If you stop paying she will lose the home so you could use that to your advantage. Florida does not have common law marriage so you really would only be obligated to pay her or give her whatever was previously promised or agreed to.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!