I received a doctors order to have a outdoor ramp put in my…

Customer Question
I received a doctors...

I received a doctors order to have a outdoor ramp put in my apartment so is the landlord responsible for puting it in and does he pay for it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No i just got a medical order from my Doctor and didnt know what to do as he said i am responsible

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/26/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if the landlord is responsible for installing this ramp??

to pay for it. it is not a big ramp just 2 steps i have to be on a knee scooter and need to get out of my house i cant have any weight on my foot

Generally speaking, landlords are NOT required to make this type of repair. That said, IF the complex is not in compliance with the Fair Housing Act, you can force them to make this modification...is that the case, do you know?

I dont know how do i check to see if he is in compliance?

Contact your city/county planning office. They can tell you if the property is up to code

ok 1 more thing before I let you go, there was another lady here that he built a ramp for and has since torn down as she left , so when i talked to him about my ramp i needed he said i needed to find out the state requirements for the ramp and then he could build me one at my expense, shouldnt he already have the measurements from building that ramp? also who do i contact for finding out those measurements he needs and can he charge me whatever he wants?

Again, IF the FHA (fair housing act) requires these changes? HE has to make them (not you). The law is clear on this. And your city/county planning office can tell you if this building is in compliance with the FHA.

Now...if he is in compliance with the FHA? Then he is not required to make the change...so you would need to pay if you wanted to have the repairs done. Now...he can not charge whatever he likes...you and he must agree on the terms before he can charge you anything

are you still here?

I am.

Did you not seem my last response? I will send it again

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil