How many legal ways can an estate fiduciary sign his/her…

Customer Question
Hello. How many legal...

Hello. How many legal ways can an estate fiduciary sign his/her name to be legal? 1) The only signature which may be used by a fiduciary in his/her official capacity as an estate executor is that submitted and approved by the Court Surrogate as an official probate document. e.g.: Letters applied for and issued to: ***** Estate of John Doe OR 2) AKA variants, not authorized in the granting of testamentary letters by the court surrogate, may also be used by a fiduciary in fulfillment of his/her official capacity in estate maters (these names may or may not be used in other capacities, such as passports, professions, etc.) Jane Doe, Executor, Estate of John Doe e.g.: Jane A. Doe, Executor, Estate of John Doe Jane Ann Doe, Executor, Estate of John Doe Jane A.B. Doe, Executor, Estate of John Doe Jane Doe, M.D., Executor,Estate of John Doe Thank you for your input.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NYS-sorry, I pushed send my mistake so the thought is less concise than intended.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Letters Testamentary in NYS Surrogate's/Probat file Transfer titles to real estate, transfer of tangible residues to others, and assignments of other successor administrators all are signed differently and other than the Probate document.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Several large parcels of real estate in NYS are believed to be transferred to the executor by the deceased at the age of 103. These transfers may have been by q ...are believed to be be by quit claim deed, which requires no deed transfer, thus these transfers are not reflected in the deed searches.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/26/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The law does not say anything about "how many legal ways" a person can sign their name. A person's signature can change over time, it can be changed by the surface they are writing on, it can even be changed by time of day or how rushed the person is signing. The law says nothing at all about the ways it can be signed. As long as the signature is attested by the person to be their signature, it is valid.

NY law does not say that they cannot sign Jane Ann Doe or sometimes Jane A. Doe or again just Jane Doe. If there is ever any question, believe it or not no matter which way they sign, the original signature can always be compared to prove the person signed it.

If there are questions about signatures on these documents, the heirs can file a motion to challenge them and seek handwriting analysis if need be.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.