Can I be sued for sending a text message that asked our home…

Customer Question
Can I be sued...

Can I be sued for sending a text message that asked our home seller if the builder was aware of how he did business?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

LA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, but the seller's wife in an attorney & this guy is not answering our concerns. I sent a text message yesterday asking him if the builder was aware of how he treats people? Hoping that would get him to see he is wrong. But I was not thinking about being sued for slander etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if I have done anything wrong.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/26/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Is this a public forum?

The text you describe would not meet the requirements to bring a claim for defamation.

Such a claim would require a specific statement of fact, which is made with knowledge it is not true.

The sort of innuendo you describe is not specific enough in its content to be considered a "false statement of fact".

So, it is not defamatory.

This forum is not confidential, but there is nothing showing your identity here.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

I also sent a text asking this person "is this how you guys do business?".
He responded " you are questioning my business integrity".As if to say I had done something wrong. And iluding to a law had been brame ken. He is a small business in our town, & I realize he can turn that aound & sue for damages or sue for intent to harm his reputation.
Could he do that in LA
Law had been broken*
Are you still there?

Again, there has to be a specific statement of fact made by you. Merely alluding to general dishonesty is not sufficient to successfully support a claim of defamation.

For example, if you said he stole from you or showed up drunk to do work, knowing that was not true, that would be actionable.

Merely questioning their honesty is not defamation.

What is the law in Louisiana on this? Would it be illegal to infact discuss how terrible he & his partner have conducted themselves & treated us in our home purchase & completion of our changes to our home. Is this illegal to discuss with others?
Don't I have the right to discuss my own dealings with this person/business?

Truth is an absolute defense. So, as long as you do not make false statements, you can discuss your dealings with them. In other words, take care to avoid speculating.

Speculation is where these sorts of incidents start crossing into defamation.

These men have made verbal statements to us about replacing items in the home, i.e. door, etc. b/c the items are clearly not acceptable. Now they are saying we are not replacing/changing these items, b/c of etc. etc.
Money is the real reason. How should we handle that? What would be a good response to when they say this to us? A response that holds leverage?
We have held out some $$, but have paid for home.
These changes are not in the contract, but they have stated to us they would take care of.

You can sue them for breach of contract.

Let them know that you will sue if they do not meet the obligations of the contract.

Though, if you have a written contract, you may not be able to enforce the verbal side agreements in court. You can still threaten, though.

Please remember site rules require you open a new thread to ask a new question. Thank you for understanding.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!