We signed a contract which we didn't read and wasn't explain…

Customer Question
We signed a contract...

We signed a contract which we didn't read and wasn't explain to us what we were signing but when i got home i realized that the price of the trailer ended up costing more than the stated price of the 34,000. we agreed to pay. plus they wanted us to put $10,000. down.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

California. they said there wasn't a cooling period and we needed to buy it even though we haven't picked it up yet because the bank hasn't given the ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. but we gave them $1000.oo

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/26/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Getting out of a contract can be very difficult. With that said, there are some things that you would want to consider that the law recognizes as defenses to the enforcement of a contract. One of the defenses is capacity, meaning that a person who is mentally ill, under the age of 18, under the influence of drugs/alcohol can have the contract voided. Additionally, if a party enters into an agreement under duress, it can be voided. Also, if the contract is so one-sided that it would be considered unconscionable, that is another reason. Finally, there is the issue of mistake. A court can declare that there is a mistake made by both parties as to the assumption on which the contract was based. For example, if both parties made an assumption that a certain event would occur, but the event does not occur, then the contract is voidable. Unless the agreement falls into one of these categories, then the agreement is enforceable.

California has some really good information that highlights the generally defenses to an enforcement of a contract. There's some CA specific statutes that may or may not apply, but I have found this to be useful in analyzing people's situations. You can click here to access it.

What other questions did you have for me today?