Can an unincorporated Michigan village impose water and

Customer Question
Can an unincorporated Michigan...

Can an unincorporated Michigan village impose water and sewage fees on a building that is not connected to the village’s water and sewer system?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes. We have been billed for service from October to December even though the building is not connected to the village water and sewer system.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Except the village has an ordinance that applies its water and sewer fees to all buildings regardless if the building is connected to the water and sewer system.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Thank you. Awaiting your opinion.
11/25/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 6 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Is the building within the village?
but is not hooked up to the village water and sewer system. That is, it is not connected at the main water and sewer lines running not just connected from the system. It literally has no water and sewer service. Period. The village wants us to pay $40/month for water and $25/month for sewer or $830/year. Seems a bit outrageous,

If there is no use, you have a reasonable basis to refuse the charge. You want to check if any other residents or buildings are being charged without use. You can seek an exemption by negotiation or by legal action in state court.

Please let me know if that is clear and acceptable.

I think all others in the same situation are being charged. We will seek an exception - the ordinance indicates that uninhabitable buildings are exempt but must be torn down soon. Where would we file a complaint in Michigan courts - district or circuit?
Nothing else
Last lawyer said to use state courts. Seems like there should be Michigan township ordinances that prohibit such actions.