I am looking to sue a bank for racial discrimination. Pa…

Customer Question
I am looking to...

I am looking to sue a bank for racial discrimination

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa looking to file federal siut

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Not related to employment

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/25/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I went to bank to get money it was 5000.00 out of my account that I have with bank...the first teller had no issues with my withdrawal request but needed override due to the amount...The teller asked to do overide bascially looked at me and said she was uncomfortable doing override

Interesting and I'm very sorry to hear about that. Did she explain why she was uncomfortable?

no reason at all other then me being black...the other teller began to cry out of nowhere and got on phone with someone who did the override

I'm so sorry to hear that. One moment. I think I may have something that may help.

Ok, so, in 1964, Congress passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which says that although businesses have the right to refuse service to individuals, they cannot do so on the basis of their race, gender, disability, religion, or sexual orientation. According to a trusted source, "the right to refuse service, then, means that public accommodations, such as restaurants, theaters, banks, gyms, and stores, can lawfully deny service to a customer if they feel that their business might suffer from engaging in such a transaction, as long as they don’t base that decision on the categories" that I listed above.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising that the civil rights act prohibits this kind of action and you would like some compensation or some sort of justice regarding this. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.