In Maryland can a spouse change their will to leave our

Customer Question
In Maryland can a...

In Maryland can a spouse change their will to leave our marital property, pension, retirement to another party(maybe sibling?) and make that person POA if we are still legally married? Where is my spouse's death preceeds mine I could lose my home etc?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge. We are together and supposed to be working out the marriage which is what we both want however I know my spouse changed the person that makes decisions when you are unable from me primary then our daughter to me primary then his sister (if that makes sense)?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so, thanks!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
11/25/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Federal law would preclude a spouse from being removed as beneficiary of a pension.

A spouse can leave their property by will to whomever they want. However, even though Maryland is not a community property state, a Maryland spouse can never be completely disinherited from the other spouse's estate.

At a minimum the surviving spouse can demand to take an elective share, regardless of the will. Instead of property left to the surviving spouse by will, the surviving spouse may elect to take a one-third share of the net estate if there is also a surviving issue, or a one-half share of the net estate if there is no surviving issue.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!