Can a parent claim a child as a dependent for VA disability…

Customer Question
Can a parent claim...

Can a parent claim a child as a dependent for VA disability compensation if they do not live with you for at least half of a year?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virgina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He have been getting the benefit since june of 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is the money awarded to the veteran for the children suppose to go to the child or do the veteran get to keep that money for himself

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
11/25/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

VA disability recipients may apply for dependent benefits for any spouse or child whom they are legally liable to support, even if the child is not living with the recipient for more than 180 days. The money is provided to the veteran to assist them with their needs in providing for the dependent, be it assisting with providing child support or other support for the needs of the dependent. The benefits do not go directly to the dependent, they go to the veteran for them to use to assist them in providing what they are legally required to provide for the dependent and to assist the veteran meet their other needs while doing so.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.