My Chiropractor is billing me for $640 because of an error…

Customer Question
My Chiropractor is billing...

My Chiropractor is billing me for $640 because of an error they made in recognizing a shortage payment from my insurance company.. According to my Insurer the Doctor agreed to the contract, and so must have known the payment amount from them. The insurer paid $14 and my co-pay is $20. The doctor claims she cannot keep the lights on for that amount.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

My question is do I have to pay it? No manufacturer involved. It's a doctors office.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. No, the chiropractor cannot collect this from you. If the chiropractor has a contractual agreement with the insurance company, the chiropractor is bound by that contract. The chiropractor is not then allowed to collect any differential from the insured. So, this bill is not a collectible bill and the chiropractor's claim that he/she can't keep the lights on for the contractual amount is an issue the chiropractor needs to face with the insurance company next time the contract comes up for renewal; but, the chiropractor is not legally allowed to bill you for the chiropractor's bad contract.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard