I paid in full 7800$ rent for a condo in Venice Fl my.dad…

Customer Question
I paid in full...

I paid in full 7800$ rent for a condo in Venice Fl my.dad came w/ me due to health issues NOW landlord wants 1000$ more for my dad which I gave him. So we are in but he will not give us keys. When in July I gave him 7800$ he gave me keys. Since then he changed locks so we are VERY afraid he will lock us out. NO KEYS to door. We had a long drive to Fl, he texted me for my dad quote BRING CASH or HIRE ESQ!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Venice FL.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I was going to call a locksmith put our own NEW locks on ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has been verbally abusive through text messages & in person to the point we are shell-shocked. Here we are scared my 89 yr old dad is afraid me too. And I am a businesswoman. Can I call locksmith & put new locks on?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/25/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What the landlord did is illegal and a violation of your rights and the law. This is an illegal lockout and your recourse here is to call a locksmith and have him change the locks and then deduct the cost from the rent if the landlord won't give you a new key.

.

While you are a legal tenant you have the right to "sole use and possession" of the property and that includes having a key so as to be able to lock and secure it to prevent others from entering without authorization.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks