We have a sister who has been homeless in Ventura County CA…

We have a sister...

We have a sister who has been homeless in Ventura County CA for 20 years with no current income, references, credit history etc. One of my brothers wants to rent a place fro her without saying that she will live there, not him. He will pay rent etc. this doesn't sound right to me, is this legal to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Yes, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh I see, no nothing filed or reported. Our sister has lots of health problems and is willing now to get off streets. we don't know how else to help her. we want her to be in a decent place. we were going to have my brother co-sign but a lot of places say no co-signers. I have rented for years in California myself and landlords always want to know upfront exactly who will be living in unit etc.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. No, it is not. Only an authorized person could live in the rental. If he does this and the landlord finds out, he could be in breach of the lease agreement and the lease could be terminated and she could be evicted, assuming she does not voluntarily leave. If that happens, he would still be liable for lease and could be sued. He is taking a chance that nobody will find out because if they do, he could get in trouble.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Thank you, ***** *****!

My pleasure