After seven years of marriage and a may be divorce I would…

Customer Question
Second opinion] After seven...

Second opinion] After seven years of marriage and a may be divorce I would like to know what amount of alimony might be due.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Port Orchard,,Wa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Alimony is calculated based on a number of factors. The court looks at all of those factors, and then makes a determination on a case by case basis.

In other words, there is not a set amount of alimony that spouses receive in a divorce, it depends on each of those factors for each couple's unique case.

I can let you know that under Washington state law, you won't receive alimony at all if you were married for short period of time, less than 2 or 3 years.

Permanent alimony is only awarded in cases where the couple has been married for a very long time, around 15-20 years or more.

Other than that, for everywhere in between, these are the factors the judge will take into consideration when making an alimony determination:

• the length of your marraige
  • whether you have children
  • the total amount of marital income and assets
  • your education and training
  • your future plans
  • your health
  • your standard of living

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones