My dad is a K9 unit for a small town, there's is talk that…

Customer Question
My dad is a...

My dad is a K9 unit for a small town, there's is talk that they are going to let him go for a new younger officer, can they legally take the dog, he was donated to the town, but my dad pays all expenses for him from food to vet bills and has for a little over four years, the town has never paid for anything for the dog other than wormer every six months

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My mom keeps all expense receipts for everything they buy for him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I'm just need to know what he'll have to do in order to keep the dog.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/24/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the dog was donated to the town, yes it belongs to the town and the town can take it back. However, the town is not supposed to have made your dad pay for everything regarding the dog without reimbursing hm for expenses. So your dad can file a claim for reimbursement and make them pay him back for everything he can present bills for and if they do not pay he can sue in court for reimbursement since those are expenses caring for his employer's property.

The city would have to agree to give him the dog, since they own the dog and that is the only way he could keep it.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.