I have a question regarding personal property ownership

I have a question...

I have a question regarding personal property ownership after death

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No none of the items have been filed in probate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just want to know some legal rights

11/24/2017
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
What is your specific legal question?
My father recently passed away. My mom is in a memory care nursing home. My dad lived in a small home attached to mine I built for him. He has several personal items in the house. He has a number of guns. I would like to give one to my son to remember his grandpa. My siblings say I don’t have a right to give him one. The guns haven’t been recorded as property in any probate issue. I know my mom still has rights. But would it be legal for me to give my son one
My condolences for your loss. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Unfortunately, your siblings are correct. The personal property of your late father’s, regardless of where it is currently located, is property of the estate and you can not exrcise rights of ownership without authority from the probate court or the representative of the estate.
Any interested party can file to open probate and begin the process of resolving claims and distributing his property to the heirs.
If you are given the guns then you are free to domwith them as you please. Until then, you risk liability to the estate if you misappropriate the property to give away.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but ai do not want you spinning your wheels on this and incurring liability.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
He did not have a will so there is no representative for the estate. My brother had power of attorney but I understand that ended upon my fathers death.

If he had no will then any interested party can petition to be appointed the representative of the estate.

You are correct, the POA given to your brother would have terminated on your father's death.

You may want to have an attorney to help you with the probate. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney