Mother died at 93 and did have a will but no money or

Customer Question
Mother died at 93...

Mother died at 93 and did have a will but no money or property. What am I supposed to do next? She passed away in February 2015. I totally lost.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The State is Texas, Harrison County

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Death Certificate. She passed in Good Shepherd Hospital.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are six of us kids and she did have mineral rights on property both in Gregg County and Harrison County.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
11/24/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

To pass title to the mineral interests you will have to do some type of probate. In Texas, there are a number of different kinds of probate and so the best thing you could do would be to visit with a local lawyer and see which one fits your situation the best. It is likely going to be either an Affidavit of Heirship or something called Probate of Will as a Muniment of Title.

Both of these are inexpensive and the court at Marshall moves things along pretty quickly. Since it is primarily mineral interests being "passed" you will want a lawyer to handle it for you because of the very specific wording required.

As executor, do I need to go to the courthouse in Marshall to start this process or should I contact a lawyer first and what type lawyer do I need?

Contact a lawyer first and you need one that does Wills and Estates. You can look in the yellow pages there and find someone, almost anybody can do this type of work.

They will file everything that needs to be filed. They will just want to check land records to make sure they have all of the interests in which she owned a share. This is an easy process if you turn it over to the lawyer.

Some probates you can do yourself but you shouldn't try to do this one because it will be complicated for non-lawyers to get the interests done correctly.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.