Can I have a Massachusetts probate law answer my question?

Customer Question
Can I have a...

Can I have a Massachusetts probate law answer my question? Or does it not work with way

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None - not there yet are there any mass lawyers online

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that they are from massachusetts

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/24/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Can you post them here, what questions do you have ,thanks.

I live in Massachusetts. In 2012, when I divorced, my father who owns the home I live in with my mother, said I could like in the home until this June 2018 so my daughter could graduate from High School. Unfortunately, he died recently, and my brother has power of attorney. He just put my mother in a home, and now tells me I have to pay for her home, by paying rent, until he sells the house in June. I cannot pay rent and be able to eat and have a car and care for my two kids. he said if I don't pay him, he is calling a realtor and selling the house immediately (which in the town I live in, houses are being sold in one day). Since I can't pay, how long would I have to live there assuming he takes me to court. I will be out by June 1 regardless. A side note the judge may consider is my two brothers have the means to pay for her to be in her facility and pay themselves back when the house is sold. I have nothing and live on 47,000 a year which is not a lot for Massachusetts. It pays for food and all the utilizes at the house. Would the judge even hear anything like that or would I be evicted and homeless until June.

Was there a will here, are you an heir?

there is a will. I have to see it, my brother has not been sharing the info so I called the lawer and am getting a copy.I would be shocked if I am not in it. I always heard is was to be split four ways.
Am I waiting for an answer or is this over

Unless he has applied for probate and been appointed by the court he cannot do anything.Once appointed here he can charge you rent and evict if he gives you notice and files for eviction.But this may take awhile, if you haven't been served here, he likely hasn't filed probate.Check the county where dad deceased.

You can check online here, give you an idea of how much time you have

https://www.thebalance.com/access-massachusetts-probate-records-3504980

It is also possible he left you the house check it out.

Thanks again for the chance to help you .

If you can positive rate5 stars at top of page it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer