Met a man on dating site. He is in military in africa. Wants…

Customer Question
Met a man on...

Met a man on dating site. He is in military in africa. Wants me to send him a 200.00 dollar i tu e card so he can send important documents to i dont know where. Is this a scam?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No he asked me

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

He's a military romance scammer.

First of all iTunes cards can't be used to purchase postage or send packages. They can only be used in the iTunes store. But they are an untraceable way for scammers to get money. You send them the cards, and they resell them.

Secondly, members of the military don't have to pay to send packages or letters. The military provides the service free for all members of the military.

Thirdly, members of the military make a very fine living. They draw a salary that that have access to all over the world. If they are stationed overseas, such as this person supposedly is, they also get their room and board free. They have very few actual expenses. The very fact that this person is asking you for money means he is a liar and a thief.

If you want harder evidence, there actuall are some foolproof ways to spot a military scammer:

1) Ask your scammer for his official military email address. This is not classified information. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he writes to his friends and family. Every soldier does because it is the only one he is supposed to use. When he gives his email address to you, it should end in .mil It will NOT end in .com In other words, it should look like John.Dpe @us.army.mil

If the email address he gives you doesn't end in .mil on the right side of the @ sign, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he can't produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he's scamming you. Period.

2) If he's stationed abroad, ask him for his APO address. If he won't give it to you for any reason, he's scamming you. If he gives you an APO address it will look something like this:

Lt John Doe
23rd Battalion
Unit 1234, Box 56789
APO, AP

Note how there's no address listed. That's because members of the US military serving abroad in a war zone are not allowed to give out their actual locations for security purposes. The mail goes through military channels and they know where he is and will get it to him.

3) Get his name, military ID number and date of birth and enter it here on the US Military's website.

https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/scra/#/home

This too, is not classified information and, in fact, would be information he'd have to disclose if he were ever captured. The site I have linked you to should tell you if he is a soldier. If he won't tell you, then you know he's a scammer. He has no reason to refuse to give it to you. If he does but the site doesn't recognize him or contradicts what he's told you, that tells you he's a scammer too.

The above are foolproof. If he can't or won't give you what you ask for then he's a fake, no matter what else he tries to say or show you or how many of his buddies he gets to write or call you.

This last doesn't always work, but when it does it's really dramatic:

4) Upload his photo to Google's Search by Image and see if the same photo is being used all over the web on a bunch of different names and profiles. If you can't figure out how to use Search by Image you can send the photo to me through customer service and I can do this for you.

Once you agree with me that you're being scammed, cease all contact with him. Send no money. Report him to your police, to the FBI online at www.IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.