District of columbia for prosecuting rape of adult female…

Customer Question
District of columbia for...

District of columbia for prosecuting rape of adult female what is statue of limitations if victim did not report crime within one year.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

District of Columbia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. The victim can still proceed and file a report and the police can investigate and make an arrest and the State can still file charges.

Felonies

• First or second degree murder: none;
  • First degree sexual abuse; second degree sexual abuse; first degree child sexual abuse; and second degree child sexual abuse: 15 yrs;
  • Third degree sexual abuse; fourth degree sexual abuse; enticing a child for the purpose of committing felony sexual abuse; first degree sexual abuse of a ward; second degree sexual abuse of a ward; first degree sexual abuse of a patient or client; second degree sexual abuse of a patient or client; using a minor in a sexual performance or promoting a sexual performance by a minor; incest; and trafficking in labor or commercial sex and sex trafficking of children: 10 years;
  • Other felonies in 1st and 2nd degree: six (6) yrs.;
  • All other crimes: three (3) yrs.;
  • Except if offense included official misconduct, fraud or breach of fiduciary trust: max. nine (9) yrs. felony, six (6) yrs. misdemeanor
What is limitation for bringing a civil suit under the same circumstances

Claims must be brought within three years "from the time the right to maintain the action accrues." If the victim is a minor when the injury occurs, he or she may bring the action within three years of his or her eighteenth birthday.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!