I have question about business I was working with a startup…

Customer Question
Hi i have question...

Hi i have question about business I was working with a startup as a partner meaning that i would have equty

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The company is registered in florida it is being redone and has to move to delaware and change the type of corp it is i started working actively in business without a contract as we were waitng for the new company to be structured properly i was to be an equity shareholder

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

It's an s corp in florida at the moment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It's a tech product that is patenented and during the course of the last 6 weeks i have made siginificant work and contributed to the development of the product i have now gotten into an argument with the founder and i want to know what my rights are as we didn't get the contract done, but we did sit in the lawyers office and make the agreement verbally in front of the lawyer

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.While a verbal promise of equity is not generally enforceable, you may be able to assert an equitable claim for promissory estoppel.The elements of promissory estoppel are: (1) a clear and definite promise; (2) made with the expectation of reliance thereon; (3) the promisee in fact reasonably relied on the promise; and (4) detriment of a definite and substantial nature was incurred in reliance on the promise.
While there is no requirement that you retain an attorney, equitable remedies always involve complex litigation and retaining experienced counsel is strongly recommended. If you need help finding a local litigation attorney, try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:
http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.