I am 42 years old and recently applied for student aid to…

Customer Question
I am 42 years...

I am 42 years old and recently applied for student aid to attend school..I was informed that I failed to register for selective service and was denied

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to date

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had a troubled childhood and adult life with drugs and alcohol that I have gained help in addressing and have been free of for a significant amount of time..

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

I need to know what I can do to demonstrate I did not knowingly and willingly not register..I was unaware as well as very sick in that time as well as not knowing of my obligation to registe

There is really no way to show you "didn't know" something. You can submit an affidavit but that's just swearing that you didn't know. You could ask for a waiver based on your illness but you would need to get a copy of your medical records and attach them along with the affidavit. Under your facts, these would be the two best pieces of evidence you could use.

Another thing you can try is to contact the staff at the office of your US Congressman and ask for their assistance. Often they are willing to get involved in matters such as this and will "pull strings" behind the scenes to assist you in getting the waiver.

Will I lose my driver's license? I'm 42

The federal government can't but a number of states have enacted legislation that can affect drivers license privileges. These are discussed at https://www.sss.gov/Registration/State-Commonwealth-Legislation/Other-Legislations

Virginia has only enacted legislation that affects state student loans and state jobs, nothing to do with drivers licenses.

There is a webpage at https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Register/Benefits-and-Penalties that explains the penalties and benefits.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

I have to step away for about 30 minutes but will be back after that.

I'm back and will be off and on the computer all day.