Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In a federal court contract dispute can a pro se plaintiff

Customer Question
who prevails apply for reimbursement...
In a federal court contract dispute can a pro se plaintiff who prevails apply for reimbursement of his out of pocket attorneys fees in those cases where an attorney assisted him?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Federal law only allows a prevailing party to obtain attorney's fees from the opposing party when authorized by federal law or by the terms of a contract. Since this is a contracts dispute, you would only be able to claim any attorneys' fees if the contract provides for it.

When it does, typically the attorney must be representing you in order to claim the fees. However, if you have bills from someone who is charging you for things like drafting the Complaint, researching, and things of that nature, you can submit the bills to the court and request reimbursement. The costs for something like this service typically would not be reimbursed, because JustAnswer experts do not represent customers. We're simply providing information. But the starting point is the contract. If it doesn't allow for fees, nothing is reimbursable.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In Arizona attorney fees are reimburseable under ARS 12-341.01 for any contract dispute regardless of what contract says. I'm looking for any authority where pro se litigant retained attorney to draft a complaint then continued pro se and prevailed.

I didn't realize you were looking for case law. I'll opt out and see if another expert can help.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney