Do you guys have answers for pet law issues in California?

Customer Question
Hi, do you guys...

Hi, do you guys have answers for pet law issues in California? How much does it cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok does client lawyer privilege apply with these answers?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We believe that an animal control report has been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Probably just easier to explain it directly.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for posting.

The cost is whatever you offered.

This is not a privileged consultation. The attorney client privilege does not apply to our interaction, but this is pretty anonymous. Also you can ask the website to remove this thread from the website once we finish.

Please describe what happened, I am not sure what your question is but I am licensed in California (since 1983) and familiar with animal law.

One of our dogs got out, and got into an altercation with a neighbor's dog who had also gotten out (neither of our properties), we paid for all of their vet bills because we felt bad as our dog is much larger and it seemed like the responsible thing to do. We found out later that they opted to put their dog down. Our dog has no bite history or anything like that, but we do not know what to do. We are considering putting her down as we do not want to have tonight's awfulness affect our other dogs but we are concerned about how to go about it and make sure that we don't get into any legal trouble, and that her actions don't get blamed on one of our other dogs (aka animal control tries to put down innocent dog B because dog A has already been put down).

I do not make phone calls so I will have to opt out and let another Expert assist you.

Chatting is fine, it just was an option on the screen that seemed easier.
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

I am very sorry to hear this;

euthanizing an animal is a personal choice so if it is due to an incident it may be worthwhile to have a licensed dog trainer assess the dog.

Here is the statute that discusses liability for dog bites - you will see it is a strict liablity issue so the liability is imposed whether or not the owner knew or should have known of the dog's ability/predisposition to bite.

Animal control can petition the court to euthanize a dangerous dog.

If one is concerned they may identify the dog, it is possible to get a statement from the other dog's owner (or witnesses) with a physical description of the dog. That will help avoid any confusion.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer