My husband is in prison for DWI. He is a vet and receives…

Customer Question
My husband is in prison...
My husband is in prison for DWI. He is a vet and receives pension from government. The bank has stopped my withdrawal and will not allow my phone calls. My husband has sent them written request with power of attorney for me to allow withdrawals. The money is needed to pay bills and for food. The bank tells me they do not honor power of attorney forms and will not consider any help for me. What can I do? My husband is frantic...me too.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
11/23/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma...but unsure of your specific question...are you asking if the bank is required to honor the POA?

we cannot understand why they will not speak with me or release any funds. They did for over a year then all of a sudden won't even accept my calls or my husband's request.

Thank you

There is no law that would require the bank to honor the POA.

They can refuse to honor it...you can not force them to do so.
You husband may want to consider changing the bank to one that will work with you on this.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can force the bank to honor, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I just recd your message. Sorry for the delay.

no worries, did you have additional questions?

What do you mean. No Worries??

I mean did you have additional questions? If not can you please rate the answer so I may receive credit

thanks!

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil