Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a tenant that has not paid her rent do by the 5th of

each month she has no...
I have a tenant that has not paid her rent do by the 5th of each month she has no lease is just month to month I about to go give the 5 days notice what’s next?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Chicago ill
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No she just does not want to pay her rent she keeps giving me excuses for not paying rent.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She has 3 kids and has her Boyfriend and brother that help her with rent.
11/23/2017
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your landlord-tenant lawn question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your eviction law question today.

In Chicago after serving a five day notice to quit for non-payment of rent you can file a forcible entry and detainer suit with the court if the tenant fails to pay on the 7th day after service.

You can file in the circuit court in the county where the property is located; you are entitled to file for possession and if applicable past due rent at the same time.

Just bear in mind the fact :

"Section 5-12-130(g) of the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance, provides that any acceptance of partial back rent by a landlord will operate as a waiver of the right to recover all remaining unpaid rent described in the five-day notice "

So you can proceed with a circuit court case to obtain possession and past due rent if you haven't accepted partial payments.

Please follow up with me if you need more assistance.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE SARS TODAY.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you for your advise.
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer