Thank you, this is awesome, I have a date December 15th, 9am…

Customer Question
Thank you, ***** *****...

Thank you, ***** ***** awesome

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I have a date December 15th , 9am freeway liquors accuse me of picking up a wallet from their counter........what happened was I found a wallet outside on ground right by door.....I Never stole anything,....I Never in 59 years had a court case..... I want someone to see video,......state of Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No ma'am not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's the whole short story No one came to court on my 1st appearance

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Have you retained a criminal lawyer yet? Have you been arraigned and did you plead not guilty? What is your question with regard to this matter?

No I didn't know I was a criminal,.....I didn't steal, I found ......yes, I was arranged on November 15th, Yes, I pleaded not guilty
I really can't afford to call you until Monday. My funds are very low as of now
But I'd love to know what might lie ahead

You don't have to be a criminal to be charged with a crime. To prosecute you, the state only needs a reasonable belief that you may have picked up property belonging to someone else with the intention of keeping it for yourself. To convict you they need to prove all of that beyond a reasonable doubt at trial.

You've been arraigned and pled not guilty to the charges. That's the first step. From here, if you want to fight the charges or potentially get a deal which can possibly keep this crime off of your record, you should show up with a criminal defense lawyer. If you cannot afford to hire one, then you can ask the judge for a public defender.

I do not know what the value of what you allegedly stole is. If the wallet and its contents are worth more than $500, this would be a felony charge. Less than that, the charge would be considered a misdemeanor. Either way, incarceration is a possible penalty. It is unlikely to happen on a first arrest, unless you take this all the way to trial and lose or you ignore court orders and miss your court dates. But criminal matters can have lasting repercussions all the same, which is why you need representation.

As the case goes on, the prosecution will turn over discovery materials, including any video, to your attorney and he can give you copies of all of that.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Thanks I do need an attorney for this case
I'd so much like to clear this matter by any means necessary
How do I go by hiring a lawyer
Don't the accusers supposed to be at my arraingement

Yes. Criminal cases can have lifetime repercussions. They need to be handled correctly.
How do I go by hiring a lawyer

Contact the MIssouri Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a $50 fee for a referral which includes a free half-hour initial consultation with the lawyer. They will find you a criminal defense lawyer in good standing with his licensing authority. Here's the website:

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=MO

No. This is not like traffic court. YOu're the only one under court mandate. The prosecuting attorney represents the complainant's interests. If you go to trial, he or she will appear to testify against you on the stand. If you don't go to trial, you'll never have to see her in court.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.