Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I co-signed on a car for my step-daughter. She has the car

I co-signed on a car...
I co-signed on a car for my step-daughter. She has the car in GA and I am in Colorado. Both of our names are ***** ***** title. I am the primary. She is not making the payments as agreed and she let her insurance lapse on the car. I would like to retrieve the car or have someone do it for me. Can I legally do it, even if she is not willing to give it up?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: The car is in Georgia. It is a 2012. We have only had it since April 2017.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing has been filed and I talked to the lender, but got no results.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
11/22/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

The law is that any owner listed on title may take possession without the consent of a co owner. In other words, no co-owner has a greater right of possession than they other.

The only limitation is that you can not break into a locked building or trespass on private property, or breach the peace (no taking the car at gunpoint, for example). Otherwise, you are free to take possession. If you do not have the keys, you can have it towed.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Can I have an auto transport company pick it up for me?
it is your car. You can hire company to transport it if you want.
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney