I live in an apartment in nj the tenant above me has started…

Customer Question
I live in an...

I live in an apartment in nj the tenant above me has started taping me while I sleep I have a medical condition that causes me to sometimes talk in my sleep she is trying to use it to get me evicted she does not have my consent is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

NJ is a one party consent state. In order to record a conversation the consent of one of the parties to that conversation is required.

However, they are probably recording the noise level as evidence of a disturbance. In other words, this is not a recorded conversation situation requiring your consent. This is more along the lines, I am presuming, of a noise complaint, like a loud stereo.

Is that the situation?

No not that I know of but I'm not sure

Well, if they are recording the "noise" your consent is not required.

There is not really a conversation happening, if the talk is in your sleep.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!