If I shared someone's medical record with someone else is it…

Customer Question
If I shared someone's...

If I shared someone's medical record with someone else is it against the law

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If you are asking whether you could be charged with a criminal offense, the answer is no. You can't get arrested for showing someone a copy of someone else's medical records. There are circumstances, however, where you could be sued for an invasion of privacy. That would depend in part upon how you came by the records and why you let someone else look at them.

They belong to my ex-wife and I am under a restraining order right now

It would not be a violation of a restraining order to show someone your ex's medical records unless you did it deliberately so that it would get back to your ex-wife in an effort to harass her. There are times when it would be perfectly reasonable to show someone else those records, if you have them, for example, if you wanted your lawyer to see them to help him or her to prepare your case.

The medical record showed that she had married her psychologist the psychologist changed his name and retired to cover his tracks I was very concerned that my children were living with a person who I thought was a sexual predator I showed the records to a mutual friend

Again, I don't see how that is illegal or that violates a protective order.

Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.