Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a one time assault be enough to put someone in jail and

sue somebody, they put their...
Can a one time assault be enough to put someone in jail and sue somebody, they put their hands around my neck at work and squeezed.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Nisha Jones

Hi again! Just a reminder this is for general informational purposes only, and no attorney client relationshiop is formed. Give me just a few minutes to type up my response, thanks!

I'm sorry to hear this happened.

Yes, this does constitute a criminal offense, it is the crime of battery.

You can file a police report with your local police. I'm not sure how long it's been since the event occurred, but you will need some evidence to demonstrate the battery took place -- that could be witness statements from colleagues who saw the incident occur, or photos of any marks or bruising you had.

A battery is a misdemeanor offense, and the penalties include:

• up to six months in county jail
  • fine up to $2000, and
  • probation up to six months.

I hope that helps! Don't forget to leave a positive rating, thank you!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones