Can you return a new car with in 24 hrs after purchase in…

Customer Question
Can you return a...

Can you return a new car with in 24 hrs after purchase in cape Gheradio mo

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I think it was in 2015 new. but told salesman I could not afford it if my ins went up. I I called him with in 24 hrs told him , I wanted my car back . He said it was already gone. this was with in 24 hrs of signing a paper.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes I sent them my statement my income bank statement all they asked for. the repoed the car and constantly calls me. this is Morland Chrysler, I was threatened by sales person said it would ruined my credit. Like I'm said it was with in 24 hrs of signing contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I had a choice to a return policy of so many days to return it. Am I still responsable altho the repoede it,

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 5 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

No, although this is one of the most common "urban legal myths" there is no right to return a vehicle within a certain amount of time after it is purchased. The moment you sign the papers and take possession of the vehicle then it is yours and there is no longer a right to return it. The only possible exception is if the vehicle was purchased at a location not owned by the dealer. An example of this would be at a car show or at a county fair where cars were being exhibited. In that case, many judges will consider it as being equivalent to a "door to door sale" and allow it to be returned but you would have to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit.

As to whether you have to continue paying after the car was repo'd, the answer to that is "yes", but it may not be the same amount you borrowed. When a vehicle is repo'd, the lender will sell the car at auction and then deduct that amount from what you owe. You will then have to pay the remainder. So, for example, if you owed $10k on the car, it was repo'd and sold at auction for $8k, then you would owe $2k.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney