I shipped 3.5 grams of marijuana from California to

Customer Question
I shipped 3.5 grams...

I shipped 3.5 grams of marijuana from California to Cleveland Ohio. Tracking reports that it has been seized. How much trouble am I In?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It had a legal belt knife and 20 morphine pills

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

You are potentially in quite a bit of trouble. Postal inspectors fall under federal law, which means you could be charged in federal court with attempted delivery of a controlled substance under USC 841. That could land you in prison for years and/or the payment of a significant fine and probation.

Even if you are charged under state law, California's drug trafficking and distribution penalties is a felony charge and could result in a hefty fine and years in state prison.

I have a California medical marijuana card and this was for personal use. Does that matter?
Unfortunately it does not. Shipping marijuana or other drugs through the mail is stil a crime. It’s possible the package may he seized and that is the end of things. However, what I would say is now, if you are contacted by the authorities, do not give a statement or answer any questions without speaking to a criminal lawyer. Do not talk to them without a lawyer. You are under no obligation to say anything, and cannot be compelled to answer anything.

Was there anything I could clarify for you, or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING FIRST, and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, if I have fully answered your question, please leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. This is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the site for our time and assistance. Thank you.