I live in Texas and my question is I am a manager

Customer Question
I live in Texas...

I live in Texas and my question is I am a manager responsible for making daily deposits. at times it is hard to make them because I am the only one opening the store and have to prepare for opening.. On this day I had 6 deposits to make and had to get change for the store. I put 2 deposit bags inside the bank change bag because that is all that would fit. When I got to the car I put the other 4 deposits in my glove compartment. I rushed to the bank drive through and gave the teller the bank bag and drove back to work. Two weeks later my employer stated 4 deposits hadn't been made. I said I made all of them and they requested the receipt so I checked everywhere, she told me to check in my car and I remembered the 4 deposits that I put in glove compartment and they were gone. I don't know who, where or when they were taken. They are saying they are pressing charges. Can they do that even though it was taken at some point out of my car. I know I am completely responsible for securing the deposits but it was a mistake due to rushing to do the deposits and open up the store alone.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas and it's a 2010 Cadillac Seville

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The General Manager stated the owner would file charges but I asked them if I can file a police report for the missing deposits

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Your employer has a right to file a police report explaining that the deposits are missing and that you are the last person known to be in possession of them. Whether to proceed with criminal charges from there is entirely up to the police. They may want to talk to you before making a decision. You have a right to refuse to speak with them, and you also have a right to bring a lawyer if you want to speak with them. Since they suspect you of taking the deposits, having a lawyer would probably help. Police are trained to get people to confess, even if you don't intend to. (And it's not terribly uncommon for someone to get confused by police and wind up making a false confession.)

Most likely, your statement that the deposits were stolen out of your car will be added to the owner's report about the missing deposits. But you can file a report on your own explaining that someone broke into your car and took them.

Court is about finding out the truth. The fact that one person says X and the other says Y doesn't mean the state can't prosecute. It's up to the jury to determine what happened, not police or the prosecutor. But your statement does mean that they might have trouble proving beyond a reasonable doubt that you took the money.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.