I have a company based in Hancock, NY. We purchase timber,

Customer Question
I have a company...

I have a company based in Hancock, NY. We purchase timber, timberland, rock quarry's and Realestate. Recently, we were using contract loggers on a job just across the border from Hancock in Pennsylvania. Our cruise was short of logs. One of the contract loggers told us that his boss had sold 4 loads of logs to Wagner Hardwoods in New York and Wagner hauled them back to New York and processed them. I contacted the head timber buyer at Wagner and asked if he could check the GPS on their log trucks and see if any loads were removed from the address. He confirmed that they were removed and that Wagner had issued 4 checks in the name of the contract loggers girlfriend. Wagner has agreed to cooperate. The value is is somewhere between $15-20,000. As I see it, there have been three crimes committed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

It's timber ma'am not trucks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Other than contacting the timber company and confirming they had purchased the timber in the loggers girlfriend's name, no charges have been made. The timber was taken from Pennsylvania and sold in New York. I've done some research on the individual and he has been convicted of timber theft in the past. Is it a crime to cross state lines? Is it possible that the company who purchased the timber that was stolen is liable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure what you mean. I want to know if this a criminal issue or a civil issue? Will we go after the logger if it is civil or can we get compensated by the people who purchased stolen property without any signed document stating that the timber they were buying was the sellers to sell

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is THEFT is what this is called and it is grounds to call the police and report it and to get the loggers arrested for theft. It is also grounds to sue the loggers in civil court for damages and losses resulting from the theft. It could be charged as a federal offense, if the FBI is interested, if not it is simply a theft in the state where it took place and it is a felony.

The buyer, if they purchased it in good faith, not knowing it was taken from you, would not be liable to you for the cost of the timber, they already paid the thieves for the timber. It is the thieves you need to pursue and having the GPS would pretty much convict them.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.