LESSER HAVE BEEN PARKING IN UNASSIGNED PARKING AND NOW

Customer Question
LESSER HAVE BEEN PARKING...

LESSER HAVE BEEN PARKING IN UNASSIGNED PARKING AND NOW LESSOR CHANGES RULES

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

FLORIDA AND CURRENT LEASE DOES NOT INDICATE WHERE TO PARK

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO, THEY HAVE BEEN PARKING IN SPACE SINCE LEASE STATRED

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NOW LESSOR WANTS TO POST TOW AWAY SIGNS

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. What does the lease agreement say about parking? Is there resident spots or assigned spots?

Two establishments are next to each other. Lessor in one and lesser in the orher building. The lessor’s building is on a corner and lesser can drive in the back of lessor building, Park their cars in lessor lot and walk to lesser building. Lesser has done this since moving into building, four years. Lease does not mention parking.

So they are parking on another property, that they do not lease from?

Corner building lessor occupied owned next door building that was built to have homeless stay from time to time. Water was connected to building as well as power. Changed building usage to a Pet Spa, drew up a lease, installed separate power. Both buildings are on major highway. Lessor built access off major road, installed driveway and made for two to thre parking spaces. Lesser occupied building but started to park next door due to easy access through back of lessor occupied building rather then driving on highway to gain their own access. Never indicated in lease where to park or could not park next door for easy access. There is ample parking, corner building is a rental hall for night time bingo twice weekly. The problem is not space, the problem is that three employees and some customers park in lessor corner lot. Lessor does not want the liability of next door employees and customers in corner lot. This has been going on since lesser started lease and lease does mention parking even though lessor built driveway off major highway to have lesser gain access to their rented establishment. Never wrote letter or verbally communicated to lesser any parking infractions. Now after four years they want to indicate to lesser stop using corner building lot.

Tenants and/or guests/customers, can only park where legally allowed. Even though it may be owed by one party, there are two separate properties and if someone is parking on the other property, when not allowed, they could be towed. Even though the lease is silent about parking, it does not mean they can just park at the other property, because it is owned by the same person. If the owner/landlord wants to assign spots, they would need to have the ability/power to do so under the lease or could assign them, as long as it does not interfere or cause a hardship for the tenant who rents.

Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley
Phone call session started

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!