Can a women get sued for having an abortion without the

Customer Question
Can a women get...

Can a women get sued for having an abortion without the fathers consent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ive been emotional abused, i left my partner and now hes building a case against me and said he will take the baby away from if i left. Im now looking at all my options including abortion

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that you've been the victim of emotional abuse.

No, a woman cannot be sued if she has an abortion.

There are of course other options to consider as well, such as adoption, and there are many adoption agencies that will provide assistance during your pregnancy and delivery.

However you cannot be sued.

See the following legal cases:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/428/52.html

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/505/833.html

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!