I co-signed for a 2 year lease on a suv with a girlfriend at…

Customer Question
I co-signed for a...

I co-signed for a 2 year lease on a suv with a girlfriend at the time. On the week where the lease was over and we needed to decide wether we were going to keep the suv, trade it in or simply be done with the lease we decided to keep it. So we signed for a 5 year loan. At the time she knew and admitted that she was going to break up with me that same week. After the breakup she went to another dealership and purchased a new car and abandoned the suv there, I got a call from the dealership letting me know that I needed to pick up the suv. It’s been about 6 months since and I’ve been paying for the suv. My question is what happens after I finish paying off the suv can she benefit from it considering her name is ***** ***** loan.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Illinois and the car is a 2015 model

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

She will benefit from you making the payments because it will be reported on her credit as well as yours..

.

The problem is if she is on the title and registration as well as you because you can't do anything with it unless she signs off on it.

.

So you may want to consider telling her that she either signs off on the title over to you, or you will sue her for half the money you have paid on the loan under a breach of contract claim.

.

.

thanks

but is me asking her to sign over the title going to be an issue considering I’d have to refinance the car under my own name? I won’t get approved for that loan on my own... would a notarized document saying that once the car is paid off she has to sign it over to me a possibility?

No, she would just be transferring her ownership interest to you... she would still be stuck on the loan... who owns the car and who has to pay for it can be two completely different people..

.

But sure, that notarized agreement would stand up in court..

.

.

thanks

just to make sure I understood correctly, I can ask her to sign over the title, meaning that her name would still be on the loan but once the car is paid off she couldn’t benefit from me selling it or having full ownership of the vehicle?

I can ask her to sign over the title, meaning that her name would still be on the loan but once the car is paid off she couldn’t benefit from me selling it or having full ownership of the vehicle?

.

Correct... Ask her... or if she refuses, sue her for 1. half the payments you have made, since she is on the loan, and half the remaining balance on the loan... or 2. She signs off on the title transferring her ownership interest over to you and you continue to make the payments as the sole owner of the vehicle.

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much