How do I file for a dissolution of a domestic partnership…

How do I file...

How do I file for a dissolution of a domestic partnership established in Calif.. I have been an Ohio resident since Aug. 2017 and my soon-to-be ex still lives in CA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The DP was established in California. I am now an Ohio resident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

CA says that a DP now has to be dissolved in Superior Court.

11/22/2017
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You initiate the process by filing a Petition for Dissolution of the Domestic Partnership. You would file in Superior Court in the County where your (former) partner resides.

You can hire a Family Law attorney or you can do this yourself. California has an excellent self help system for these things.

Here are the forms and the directions that you need:

http://dp.cdn.sos.ca.gov/forms/sf-dp2.pdf

http://www.courts.ca.gov/16430.htm

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

If I understand your comments, my soon-to-be-ex must file because only she still lives in California. There is no way I can file while living in Ohio (permanently). And I cannot file in Ohio because the Domestic Partnership was established in Calif. Do I have this all correctly. Thanks.

It would be easier and less expensive for your ex to file. Especially if you are in agreement about property distribution.

BUT you could file. It would require you to either hire an attorney in California to handle this for you or travel to California.

If she is not agreeable to filing you can use this link to find a California attorney who can help you:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/family-law/california

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer