Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I recently signed a contract in July of this year and not

Customer Question
that I am in the...
I recently signed a contract in July of this year and not that I am in the country the HR director wants to change it on me. Is this legal?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: yes
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time salaried
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Since I have been down in St. Kitts moving from NY they have changed numerous things on me that they agreed upon before I moved down here. They were suppose to help me ship my stuff to St Kitts and they never did. I did it myself. They were suppose to help get my animals down here they didn't I did it myself. When I arrived I was suppose to have a car for 2 weeks when I landed. I went the first week with no car since then the car they gave me died on me and I had to have it replace. My contract states 25 days vacation and now they are telling me it was an error on the talent agent who hired me. They are based in Chicago and represent Ross University. I was told once I land I would get my $4000 in US funds, it has been almost 3 weeks and I have yet to receive anything and was recently told by HR that it will be in local funds and not US dollars. just issue after issue and now the HR director is telling me they are going to issue me a new contract to sign with the correct vacation days from 25 to 21. What if I don't sign it.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 25 days ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The answer is no. If they made a mistake in the contract, it is their fault. They cannot change it anymore than you can. The only way they can not honor it is if the mistake was so obvious so as to have you UNDERSTAND that it was an error right away.

So in short, no - the contract is presumed valid. Their mistake does not void the clause or the contract.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law