I am the owner of a vehicle and wrote up a contract for my…

Customer Question
I am the owner...

I am the owner of a vehicle and wrote up a contract for my cousins daughter to pay 100 dollar monthly payments until my vehicle was paid off. she and her current boyftiend both signed contract(not notorized). I leased the vehicle to them in may. they skipped junes payment, made july and august's then stopped. they have fled the state with my vehicle and are driving uninsured. I want to file a stolen vehicle report...is this possible and do i have the right to do so? no one knows where they are or have heard from them..that means they have no intetion of paying and im out my vehicle and if they get in an accident im at fault...i want my vehicle back..how do i proceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Oregon and its a 1998 chevy suburban

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet because i talked with a cop in astoria oregon where i live at, they were living in newberg, oregon when they made the last payment in august, they were kicked out of where they were living and headed up to washington to his parents house..whom nobody knows their names..they have not contacted me or anything..the cop thought i might not be able to report it stolen is this true?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that im aware thank you.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
If not returned and titled to you can be reported. The other option is a civil claim.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
no, the police officer told me this..exact thing..i want reimbursed...this is a hoax right? not a legitimate website..i asked can i file a stolen vehicle report..or do i have to file a claim
Theft claims normally are not pursued where ther is a civil arrangement and a breach. While an officer may assist more likely will want you to pursue a civil claim. You can also see if local prosecutor will pursue directly.if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.