Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I wish to bring my son a rifle scope in my carry on bag.

Customer Question
Will there be a problem? JA...
I wish to bring my son a rifle scope in my carry on bag. Will there be a problem?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California -- flying from Sacramento to San Diego
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't understand the question. What might be filed or reported and to whom?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 27 days ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Pursuant to TSA rules, rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. So technically, there should not be an issue. Practically, you may be asked a few questions when they see the scope, since TSA agents are always on a look out for anything out of the ordinary.

References:

United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44

49 CFR 1540.5

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law