Received a call from Legal mediation services wanting to…

Customer Question
Received a call from...

Received a call from Legal mediation services wanting to settle an old loan otherwise it goes to the state and will mark my background with negative mark. The loan was a supposed pay day loan which i have taken out in past but do not remember not paying it off. Noiw the loan has come into their office and they seem to be posing as attorney's. They will not give me anything in writing and said I have had chances with the loan company and never responded. I do not recall any letters from them but want to resolve it but they will not give me the information I need to determine if it is legitimate. All they say it is from Direct lending which I cannot contact. What is my next step. I do not want it to go to court. I dont like the way they treat the situation either.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in california and the call is coming from souix city iowa. It is a 712 area code.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported this to the CFPB. They have not responded yet. The supposed attorney office have not done anything yet. They said they can wait for my payment till next week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to know if I can get something in wiriting from them? I was told They cannot give me anything because I have had chances before to settle and now since in their office I cannot do anything but have it go to court or settle. I need to know if this is legitimate loan. If it is I can be responsible for it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

These are typically scams where some scammer has gotten old records from a payday lender and is now trying to scare prior customers into paying them for loans that they claim were not repaid.

.

We see this a few dozen times a week here on the site and it fits your description. If they are a legitimate creditor under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, they have to validate the debt to collect on it by providing written proof that they either own the debt or are representing the creditor, that the debt is owed by you, and that it is not beyond the statute of limitations for collection.

.

The fact that they are refusing to give you anything in writing convinces me they are scammers looking to make a quick buck with scare tactics. You can tell them if they call you that you are reporting them to the state attorney general's consumer protection office for violations of the FDCPA and will forward all their infor so they can deal with them from now on..

.

Don't pay them anything or that money will just be gone..

.

.

thanks

Thank you! Very helpful.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney