My credit card company wouldn't stop payment to a company…

Customer Question
My credit card company...

My credit card company wouldn't stop payment to a company that spammed me, said to do a police report, they were the only ones to attempt to get my money back. This was a computer-lock spam and I did agree to pay them so I could save my computer. I learned later that it was a scam. I have a lot of info, including the domain name of the company it was charged to (they are located in Turkey). The police don't seem proactive in making anything happen. Anything I can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?

I can send you a detailed email with all the facts if that was possible.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, you police have no jurisdiction in Turkey, which is one reason that they haven't been able to move forward to find your scammers. This is why scammers always prey on victims from countries other than their own -- to neutralize their victim's law enforcement authorities.

Since you paid the scammers voluntarily, your credit card company is not required to absorb your loss. If you can find your scammers, then you would have legal recourse. You could sue them for their fraud, for example, or seek to have them prosecuted, but typically, the information scammers give their victims is false.

Report the crime to the FBI. They have a special website online where you can report internet related crime called the Internet Crime Complaint Center. They are at www.IC3.gov

The FBI doesn't have any jurisdiction in Turkey either, but they are partnered on the site with Interpol, which can share your information with law enforcement agencies throughout the world.

In the worst case scenario, if the police and FBI turn up nothing, you can write off your losses when you file your 2017 taxes. That's because your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible when you are the victim of a crime. So you will, at least, be able to get something back, even if your scammers aren't found.