Several months ago my nephew and his wife asked me if they…

Customer Question
Several months ago my...

Several months ago my nephew and his wife asked me if they could store some appliances and a china cabinet in my garage because they were being evicted just for a month until they moved into a new place now several months later it is still there I have asked them several times to move the stuff I sent them a message that I needed it moved by the end of the month so I could use the garage for my winter storage I told them I was going to move the stuff out of the garage thru a third party I got a message back that I had better not move it or I would be very very sorry Do I have the right to move it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but I have a feeling that they are hiding it from rent a Center and Aarons

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Yes, in a situation like this, you did they a favor and allowed them to store it, under the belief it would be for a month. This is not a situation whereby they are paying you money to store it or use your garage and if you have sent them a notice, advising to retrieve it within 30 days and they fail to do so, you could move it. As long as you advise them as to where it is and how they can retrieve it, there is nothing wrong or illegal about doing this and if you incur a cost to have someone store it, go after them to recover.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!