My exboyfriend owes me money from through out our

Customer Question
My exboyfriend owes me...

My exboyfriend owes me money from through out our relationship. I cannot afford to make some of the payments that he committed to under my name. Does it make since to sue? Or how does it work?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 4 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. How much does he owe you?

a little less than 15 thousand

And does he have any assets or other property that could be used to pay it off, if necessary?

hello?
Not to my knowledge

Yes, hello, I am here. So he doesn't own any real estate or anything like that?

he owns a 97 chevy tahoe

I see. Thank you for that additional information. Please give me a few minutes while I type a response. I am still here with you, but it does take a bit of time to type a complete response.

no problem, Thank you

The main problem in actually suing is that you're going to have a hard time recovering any money. North Carolina is one of 4 states that doesn't allow for garnishment of wages for most debts (South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Texas being the other 3). If he had any assets, it's possible that some could be "seized" to sell at auction for repayment of the debt, or if there was real estate you could impose a lien against the property (such that if he had to sell it, the lien would have to be paid off first prior to it actually passing hands). If he doesn't own any property, then he's essentially "judgment proof", meaning that the costs to obtain a judgment are more than you'd recover in a lawsuit against him.

Now you could still send a demand letter, hoping that he'll pay it. Send a demand letter demanding payment within 30 days, otherwise you will pursue legal action against him, seeking that amount plus any additional damages as allowed by law. Send this letter certified, return receipt requested, as well as a copy sent regular mail. Keep a copy for yourself, as well as the return receipt number so that you can show the court that you made a demand for the unpaid owed amount. But again, if you were to file a suit, you can get a piece of paper that says that you can try to recover the amount that he owes from his nonexempt assets, but if there are none, then you spent money and time going after unrecoverable assets.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney