I loaned someone 900 bucks to pay thier rent via money gram.

Customer Question
I loaned someone 900...

I loaned someone 900 bucks to pay thier rent via money gram. I got them to email me a promissory note before i sent money...it is a friend that i hadnt seen in a few months but i did it because they were desperate. They have since gone ghost..blocked my number and i dont know their exact address in another city they live.. i want to file in small claims court in thier city...do i need to know thier exact addres

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana...i live in new Orleans they reside in baton rouge

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I havent filed yet...i have the forms but because i dont know exact address i wanted to get more info if i could

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yeah...if i have to get a lawyer to handle this and they have to get a p.i. to find him...can i sue him for that cost

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Yes, you will need to locate them if you want to sue them, since they will need to be served and placed on notice, that a lawsuit has been filed and they need to answer to it. You could use a process server and they could perform a skip trace, to find where they are living or use a PI, to locate them. Now, if they are avoiding you, you could also see if the Judge will allow you to publish on them, as a form of service, to get a judgment but you still need to find them, to enforce the judgment. You could recover the fees and costs incurred in suing them.

What is a process server...

A process server is someone who would serve them with the summons and complaint and place them on notice, they are being sued and need to respond and appear.

I hate to seem totally naive but do process servers find the person for a fee or do i need to get a p.i. to find person 1st.. i am willing to spend the extra money to get this done because i feel like i have been violated and its personal now

They will run a skip trace. They charge a nominal fee, to serve this person but if they are unable to find them, you can use a PI as well. They may charge $35-$50 to serve them.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!