I have a business that owes me money. I issued a Writ of…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a business that owes me money. I issued a Writ of Property Garnishment on their bank account. So its frozen. The business called me to say they are placing a partial payment on the judgment in the frozen account for me. To get the funds released to me by the banking institution where the funds were deposited, do I have to file a Motion for Enforcement of Judgment Awarding Possession?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry about that. This is in the state of Maryland. I have filed all motions on my own.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The Writ of Property Garnishment was issued on the bank in March of this year (2017).The bank answered the writ saying the account only had 12.00 in it. 2 weeks ago the company deposited funds in the account for me as partial payment on the judgment against them filed by me. So I can't get clear direction on how I get the bank to now release the funds to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That about sums it up

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

IF they have the money in the account and the bank does not turn it over to you in response to the garnishment motion, you need to contact the bank and ask why they have not turned over the funds, then your next step is filing a Motion for Judgment of Possession on the account, which would be asking for an order to the bank to surrender the funds in the account to you. You also do not have to release the levy on the account until paid in full.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney