My tenant's one yr. lease expired 8/31/17. The lease has not…

Customer Question
Thank you. My...

Thank you. My tenant's one yr. lease expired 8/31/17. The lease has not been renewed to date due to eror on my part. I have no problem with the tenant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NJ. There's more. The tenant just informed me that she and her son will be returing to China at the end of Nov. No firm date yet. I expected the family to rent to the end of the current academic yr. How do I handle this, please?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Just to be clear, there is nothing in the old lease that allows the lease to automatically renew, for another year?

Correct

Thank you. Once the lease ended, the tenancy reverted to month to month. As such, either party could terminate it, with a one month notice to vacate. The tenant can not be forced to sign a new lease. As such, they still need to provide you with the proper notice, so if they did not give it at the end of October, they could be held for another one month tenancy and have to pay rent, for December.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!